Travel quotes, some may find them cheesy, but I have to admit I totally love them! Travel is what connects us all, and inspirational travel quotes often express how we feel about travel. I hope these quotes will inspire you to start an adventure, will make you dream about destinations far away and fuel your wanderlust.
Jurgen and I have been collecting them since we started travelling many years ago. We use them a lot in our captions on our Instagram and love to share them on our Pinterest. And now it’s time to put our favourite ones in an article for you.
Words can be very powerful and sometimes images even more. So we’ve combined our favourite quotes with some inspiring pictures of our travels. If you like one of these travel quotes, feel free to share them around on your social media, save them, use them in a caption on Instagram or pin the images on your Pinterest! Let us spread the inspirational and motivational words of travel and life!!
Our 20 Favourite travel Quotes
1. We must adventure to know where we truly belong – Unknown
This is our all-time favourite travel quote. On a small market in London, we suddenly bumped into this quote and now it’s hanging in our house. It’s exactly what inspires us to travel around and explore the world!
2. The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page – St. Augustine
Now, who only wants to read one page of a book? We’ve met a lot of people who admitted to us, that before they embarked for their very first travel adventure, they weren’t that interested in travel at all. But by reading more pages of this book, they started to realise how much more there is to see.
3. Not all those who wander are lost – J. R. R. Tolkien
We’ve been travelling for years now, without and with our kids. A lot of people back home, including some of our friends and family, think we lost our way by not following the normal, regular life. But we do know our way and it’s called wanderlust.
4. Take only memories, leave only footprints – Chief Seattle
Chief Seattle was a visionary… In times where the environment is under attack, we as a family try to live by this quote! We love to travel, but we must be conscious of its impact and what we leave behind.
5. I’ll look back on this and smile because it was life and I decided to live it – Unknown
Living your life can mean different things for different people. For us, it’s travelling the world, exploring new horizons, have adventures together. We want to live our life the fullest, which often means taking hard decisions, jumping into the unknown. But hopefully, we’ll be able to smile back at it!
6. Don’t Call It A Dream, Call It A Plan – Unknown
We had the dream of travelling fulltime with our kids. Once you realise the only thing holding you back from your dreams, is you, you start making plans!
7. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us – J.R.R. Tolkien
It seems J.R.R. Tolkien is one of my favourites as he has three quotes in my top 20! But his worths mean so much to me. I absolutely have the feeling it is up to us to decide what we want to do with our lives. We’re the only ones in charge!
8. Travelling, it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller – Ibn Battuta
All that beauty, all those experiences… We’ve been speechless many times during our travels. Either by Mother Nature or by the different cultures and friends we’ve met. Travelling the world gives you so much more to tell about, so much you want to share with the rest of the world or your loved ones.
9. Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell not stuff to show – Unknown
Definitely, something we learned over the years. By embarking on a fulltime travel adventure, we’ve had the chance to get rid of all our stuff which is actually liberating. We’ve learned over the years to appreciate our experiences and adventures above the things we’ve own.
10. And I Think To Myself, What A wonderful world – Louis Armstrong
One of my favourite song quotes! It’s just as simple as that and Louis Armstrong knew it. We are living in a wonderful world! All we have to do is go out and explore it!
11. Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s OK. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind – Anthony Bourdain
For me, this quote tells it all. This is how travel feels to me. It’s not always pretty, but so worth it! You’ll never be the same again, there’s no way back. And hopefully, we leave something good behind…
12. We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us – Unknown
When we first told our friends and our family we were leaving for long term travel, some of them reacted that we were running away from our lives at home. But that’s not true. We don’t go away because we don’t like it at home, we travel because we want to explore, be alive, have adventures!
13. Better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times – Asian Proverb
Nothing feels better than finally seeing that iconic landmark after hearing about it so many times! For us, there are so many reasons why we want to travel, but this is definitely one of them. It felt amazing to see the Sydney Harbour Bridge in Australia, Mount Cook in New Zealand, the Colosseum in Rome, El Capitan in Yosemite NP in the USA, and so many more…
14. Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world – Gustav Flaubert
Travelling makes you see things otherwise, makes everything more relative. You get to meet so many other people and cultures, see stunning nature and realize that you’re just a small part of this enormous breathtaking world.
15. Live life with no excuses travel with no regret – Oscar Wilde
If you really want to travel, there’s no need to make up excuses! Just take the decisions necessary and go for it!
16. Travelling, it gives you a home in a thousand strange places, then leaves you a stranger in your own land. – Ibn Battuta
Travelling will definitely change you. When we came home after travelling for a year, it felt as if we were invited in our own country and home. It feels good to be home, but you can feel how everything has stayed the same and you have changed.
17. Little by little, one travels far – J.R.R. Tolkien
Our first trips were close by, little baby steps in the travelling world. But ones you’ve opened the door, you want to see more. And little by little you go further, travel longer and look for more adventure.
18. If you never go, you will never know – Unknown
We meet a lot of people who say travelling in general, with kids or to a certain region is not for them. But first go there, try it out and then say it’s nothing for you. I am sure you will be surprised!
19. It’s a funny thing, coming home. Nothing changes. Everything looks the same. Feels the same. Even smells the same. You realise what’s changed is you – F. Scott Fitzgerald
If you’ve ever been away for a long time, you know what this quote talks about. It’s one of my favourites as it expresses so well how we felt when we came home after travelling for a year.
20. And so the adventure begins… – Unknown
Maybe it’s not even a quote, but I still like it! It’s my favourite sentence every time I can use it! As it means we’ll be heading out for new adventures, explore another part of the world and feel alive!