Where to stay in Marrakech medina: our favorites
If you’re planning a trip to Marrakech, you’re probably looking for the best places to stay. And in our opinion, no trip to Morocco, in general, is complete without a stay in a riad.
These traditional Moroccan homes offer an escape from the buzzing and noisy city and are essentially an oasis hidden behind high walls. Furthermore, they are beautifully decorated.
Marrakech is filled with the most amazing hotels, from boutique to luxury. But we prefer the riads because they are smaller and feel more intimate.
Also, we highly recommend you stay inside the medina. That way all the major highlights are within walking distance and you get to soak in the special vibe that the medina of Marrakech has to offer.
Read more: Best things to do in Marrakech
There are hundreds of riads in the medina. So how to choose the most beautiful riads in Marrakech? It definitely can be overwhelming.
Therefore, in this article, we’ll give you our favorite riads in Marrakech medina for all budgets, from very cheap and affordable riads, to riads with a pool and luxury riads. We’ll also mention some riads that are perfect for families.
What is a riad in Morocco
In Arabic, the word riad means garden or paradise. It is a traditional, family-run Moroccan house, beautifully decorated with tiles and stucco work, with an interior garden or courtyard. They can be basic or extremely luxurious and used to be the homes of noble and rich Moroccan families.
Riads can be found in most Moroccan cities, including Marrakech, and they are most common in the medina, which is the old town area. They feel like hidden gems, as the exterior of riads is usually plain, and you could never guess what’s behind those high walls.
However, once you go in, you enter a true paradise away from the hustle and bustle of the chaotic city. Riads are typically two to four stories high and have only a few in-ward-facing rooms. The courtyard normally has a fountain, plants, and/or a pool, which provides the riad with a highly relaxing and intimate atmosphere.
Another fantastic feature of a riad is the rooftop terrace, which usually provides breathtaking views over the city, its surroundings, and the sunrise or sunset.
More recently, riads have been renovated into gorgeous boutique hotels, providing visitors with a truly unique experience steeped in Moroccan culture and history.
Since they are so small, you usually have more contact with the host and staff and they can make the difference for your whole Marrakech experience. A good and friendly staff will not only accommodate you in the riad, but they will also help you to find your way in Marrakech. Give you advice on what to see, make sure your not the victim of skams and help you with anything.
As said before, we advise you to choose a riad in Marrakech medina. They provide an unbeatable centrality, enabling you to explore the cities’ most iconic attractions while still finding time to relax in these luxury havens.
Read more: Itinerary for 10 days in Morocco
Best luxury riads in Marrakech
If you are looking for a real treat and budget is less of an issue, you definitely need to check out the luxury riads in Marrakech. You can find some of the most magical, enchanting and luxurious accommodations in Marrakech, also in the medina.
There are extremely expensive luxury riads but also some more affordable ones. Here are some of our favourites:
- Riad Sakkan: this lovely luxury (but still affordable) riad in the centre of Marrakech is a true gem. The Belgian – Moroccan couple that owns the riad will make you feel at home.
- Riad Rafaele & Spa: from the moment you enter this little paradise, you feel in another world. The heated pool, courtyard with orange trees and fountains, stunning interior and amazing food will make you want to stay forever.
- Dar Darma: this luxurious riad has the most amazing modern Moroccan interior with nice big rooms and apartments. The hammam and rooftop terrace add to the attraction of this place.
- Le Farnatchi and La Maison Arabe: see below for some more extensive information.
Le Farnatchi is a luxurious boutique hotel, in the center of Marrakech. It has beautifully decorated rooms, a fantastic rooftop terrace with amazing views over the city and the most friendly staff.
If you want to relax you can choose to go to the hammam or hang around the small pool. Staying in this luxury riad will definitely be a highlight of your trip to Marrakech and Morocco.
La Maison Arabe
In the heart of the medina of Marrakech, you can find this fantastic luxury riad. La Maison Arabe is not only a hotel, it also has a hammam & spa and offers cooking workshops.
The attention to detail is beyond words, the staff is so helpful and the food of their restaurant Les Trois Saveurs is very tasty. You can eat it either in the restaurant or by the pool and the gardens.
Best riads in Marrakech with pool
As said before, a riad usually has a courtyard with plants and either a fountain or a pool. A pool is not a must, of course, but it gives this extra cachet to your stay. Not only does it look beautiful, it is also fantastic to have a swim and cool down a littleon those very hot summer days.
Many of the riads we mention in this article have a pool, also some of the accommodations in the other categories. But in this section, we’re giving you some more options, including Dar Justo, were we stayed.
- Riad Melhoun & Spa: This fantastic riad doesn’t have one but two pools! There is a pool at the courtyard and a heated one on the rooftop terrace.
- Riad l’Oiseau du Paradis: we also mention this riad in the section for families, but it has his place here as well. This fantastic place offers a beautiful pool, great rooms and an amazing rooftop terrace.
- Dar Justo and Riad & Spa Le Secret de Zoraida: see below for more extensive information.
During our 4 days in Marrakech, we stayed at the beautiful Dar Justo. This accommodation actually consists of a couple of houses together, creating different courtyards and little corners to discover.
Besides the spacious rooms, we loved the pool, the rooftop terrace with its own restaurant and the hammam Le Bain Blue.
Riad & Spa le Secret de Zoraida
If you are looking for affordable luxury, Riad & Spa le Secret de Zoraida is the place to be. The place has spacious and comfortable rooms with a lounge corner.
But the real attractions are their restaurant, hammam & spa, heated pool with contains, solarium and hot tub on the terrace. I’m sure this place will enchant you and become the perfect getaway from the hussle and bustle of the city.
Cheap riads in Marrakech
The great thing about Marrakech is that there is so much choice. Which means you can spend a lot of money on your stay but if you’re on a tighter budget, there are also some very affordable riads.
However, being cheaper doesn’t mean that these riads are less amazing! They will give you all the typical Moroccan vibes and usually come with the most friendly host and staff.
Some of our favourites are:
- Riad Bobby Marrakech: this colourful riad lies in the heart of the medina, close to a lot of great restaurants. It comes with a small pool, a lovely breakfast (often served on the rooftop terrace) and a very helpful staff.
- Riad Hadda: another beautiful small riad in Marrakech medina! It has a pool, clean rooms, a good location and even comes with a hammam. But the real difference is made by the host Tarik, who makes you feel at home.
- Riad Eden and Riad Les Jardins Mandaline: see below for some more extensive information.
Riad Eden is a true gem giving you amazing value for your money! It has a courtyard with fountain, beautiful rooms and a cosy decorated Moroccan living room. The very helpful and friendly staff serves a fantastic breakfast every morning.
On the rooftop terrace, there is a small but lovely swimming pool, where you can enjoy the views over the medina and the Atlas mountains.
This place feels like a relaxing home in the middle of the busy medina of Marrakech.
Riad Les Jardins Mandaline
At Riad Les Jardins Mandaline you can find a little paradise hidden. It is beautiful decorated with authentic Moroccan details, has clean rooms and a warm pool (which is hard to find sometimes).
You can also enjoy the rooftop terrace or the hammam. It will be a place where you feel comfortable and relaxed, perfect after a day of exploring the city of Marrakech.
Best riads in Marrakech for families
As we travel with our family (two girls), we know it is sometimes hard to find beautiful accommodations for families. Especially since we prefer to be in the authentic boutique places and not in the big hotels.
Luckily, as there are so much options to choose from, you can also find some amazing riads in Marrakech for families. Here are some of our favourites:
- Riad Les Bougainvilliers: this lovely riad is located in the heart of the medina, at a 2 minutes walk of Djemaa el Fna square. With the pool, rooftop terrace and large rooms it is perfect for families.
- Riad Milouda: their deluxe suite (which is still very affordable) is perfect for bigger families (with 3 or even more kids). The riad is colourful and beautifully decorated and has a very central location.
- Riad Soufia: you can rent this entire riad as a private villa (for a very affordable price) and it has 6 sleeping units which makes it perfect for big families.
- Riad l’Oiseau du Paradis and Dar Lalla F’dila: see below for some more extensive information.
Riad l’Oiseau du Paradis
We could have put this beautiful Riad l’Oiseau du Paradis in any of the categories. They are one of the more affordable riads in Marrakech and have bedrooms for couples or friends traveling together.
But they also have an amazing family room, perfect for a family of four. That combined with the pool, friendly staff, delicious breakfast, beautiful rooftop terrace, and central location makes it a great riad for parents and kids.
Dar Lalla F’dila
The rooms in Dar Lalla F’dila are beautifully decorated with traditional Moroccan elements and Berber rugs. Also the common areas have the most amazing details!
This accommodation has a family suite, perfect for a family with two kids. They serve a delicious breakfast and you can also have dinner here (which is ideal if you have little children).
Enjoy the views from the rooftop terrace over the souks and the medina of Marrakech.
Private riads to rent in Marrakech
If you are travelling with a bigger family, with friends or you just like the privacy, you can also choose to rent an entire riad or villa in the medina of Marrakech. And usually, it doesn’t cost that much more per person.
We found some amazing private riads to rent in Marrakech medina for you:
- Riad Bilkis: this colourful and tasteful designed private riad in Marrakech medina sleeps up to 6 people. The hosts serve breakfast and their is roomservice as well.
- Riad Soufia: we already mentioned this lovely riad that sleeps up to 6 people in the family riads’ section but had to put it in this list too.
- Dar Al Hayat: this fantastic house sleeps up to 10 people (or even more) which makes it perfect for families traveling together or groups of friends. It also comes with a friendly staff and breakfast, all at a very reasonable price.
- Riad 103: with 7 rooms and up to 19 guests, this private riad in Marrakech is perfect for big groups. It even has a warm jacuzzi and pool on the roof.
- Riad Dar Jabel: see below for more extensive information.
Riad Dar Jabel
This fantastic private riad in Marrakech medina for 6 persons is located close to Les Jardins Secret and gives amazing value for its very affordable price.
Riad Dar Jabel has a beautiful, minimalistic design and a great terrace looking out over the rooftops of the medina.
You can also have breakfast delivered every morning and arrange bicycles or a car to rent.
That was it for this article on the best riads in Marrakech medina. Hopefully you found a riad that you like!
Happy traveling to Marrakech!
Save this on Pinterest for later
Our other articles about Morocco that you might find interesting
Or check all of our articles about Morocco here.