Most beautiful hotels in riads in Morocco
Visiting Morocco is a magical experience and that includes overnight stays because they can be very special. During our tour of Morocco, the accommodations we stayed in were as much a part of the fun as the activities and places we visited.
One of the best places to sleep in Morocco is a traditional riad (beautifully decorated Moroccan house with a courtyard) in one of the beautiful medinas of, for example, Marrakech or Fez.
But Morocco has much more to offer. You can also camp in the desert or go for a local experience at a guesthouse or homestay in one of the cities or villages in the Atlas Mountains, for example.
We advise you to opt for the more small-scale hotels and riads in Morocco anyway. They are very attractive, traditionally furnished, and often centrally located. The friendly local owners and managers are also happy to help you get the best out of your trip and get to know and embrace the Moroccan culture.
TIP: If you want the most beautiful places, be sure to book on time! Many special places to stay are very affordable in Morocco. You can spend the night in beautiful places, often including a delicious breakfast, without having to spend a fortune. But those spots will of course also be the first to go. Also, take the low or high seasons into account.
In this article, we help you to select the nicest hotels and riads in Morocco. We either stayed there ourselves or heard from other people that they had a great stay.
Best riads in Marrakech
Marrakech is a mystical, intriguing city that can sometimes overwhelm you, but above all it is a fantastic experience for all your senses. And that includes some beautiful places to sleep, because Marrakech is one of the places in Morocco where you can find the most beautiful hotels and riads.
Read more: What to do in Marrakech
In our opinion, you should really sleep in a riad in Marrakech, preferably in the medina. That way you are close to all the sights and in the middle of the city. If it gets a bit too much, your riad is a place of peace in the middle of the busy city.
Read more: Best riads in Marrakech medina
We stayed at Dar Justo, a beautiful complex of several homes with a swimming pool, roof terrace, its own restaurant and even a hammam. The riad is decorated in a modern-traditional Moroccan style.
Other good options in the Marrakech medina are:
- Riad l’Oiseau du Paradis: this riad is a feast for the eyes with its beautiful swimming pool and beautiful rooftop terrace.
- Riad Sakkan: run by a Belgian-Moroccan couple, Riad Sakkan is a real must! A delicious breakfast and swimming pool complete the experience.
- Riad Eden: this extremely affordable riad is a hidden gem and brings everything you would expect from a stay in a riad.
Most beautiful hotels and riads in Fez
When you walk into the medina of Fez, you feel like you’ve been thrown back in time for several centuries. The small streets, hidden corners and many crafts that are still performed as they were hundreds of years ago, make you feel like you are walking around in a story of 1001 nights.
Read more: What to do in Fez, Morocco
And that also applies to the many beautiful hotels and riads in Fez. Just like in Marrakech, we recommend staying in a riad in the Medina. This will make your trip to Fes even more special!
We stayed in the beautiful Riad Alassala Fes, located in the medina. A stay in this riad is a true dream. We enjoyed the wonderfully relaxing courtyard with fountains, the beautifully decorated rooms, the friendly staff, the beautiful roof terrace, … And, we also did a traditional Moroccan cooking course here. Highly recommended!
Other must-sees in the medina of Fez are:
- Riad Tizwa Fes: this cosy, beautifully decorated riad and the friendly staff will make you feel like coming home.
- Riad Maison Blue & Spa: this luxurious riad is simply the best, with a beautiful indoor swimming pool, 3 roof terraces and even a spa.
- Riad Dar Tahrya: if you are looking for a budget-friendly riad, be sure to check out Riad Dar Tahrya. They also have some rooms suitable for families.
Best hotels and riads in Chefchaouen
Most likely, you have already seen pictures of the blue city in Morocco, Chefchaouen. The medina is almost entirely painted in blue and white, which gives the whole an enchanting impression.
Read more: The blue city of Morocco: Chefchaouen
TIP: Many people visit Chefchaouen as a day trip (from Fez of from Tangier), but we really recommend that you spend the night here, preferably in the medina. That way you can walk through the streets early in the morning, without all the day tourists. Only the cats and some locals will greet you.
In Chefchaouen there are many beautiful accommodations in the old town. You will soon notice that the prices here are also a lot lower than in Marrakech or Fez. So you will find something for every budget here. Preferably look for an accommodation with a roof terrace that overlooks the medina and the surrounding mountains.
We stayed at the budget-friendly Casa Sanae. A basic apartment without much luxury, but everything was fine and the owners very friendly. If you have rented a car in Morocco to get around yourself, you can park it a few minutes from Casa Sanae. You can also order extra breakfast, which is served on the fantastic roof terrace overlooking the medina and the reef mountains.
Other beautiful accommodations in the medina of Chefchaouen are:
- Dar Zambra: this beautiful, budget-friendly residence is perfectly located in the medina, with nice rooms, a lovely roof terrace and friendly staff. Fantastic!
- Casa Sabila: this nice accommodation has small but stylish rooms and is centrally located in the medina. But especially the staff will make your stay here unforgettable.
- Dar Jasmine: although this residence is not really located in the old city (only 800m from the center), it cannot be missed in our list of the most beautiful hotels and accommodations in Morocco. The roof terrace has a beautiful view, the luxurious rooms are perfect and the swimming pool more than welcome during the warm months.
Special overnight stay in Merzouga
Something you should not miss during a tour in Morocco is a visit to the desert. There are several places where you can discover the desert, but in our opinion Merzouga is the perfect mix between accessibility and a unique experience.
Read more: Merzouga, discover the desert in Morocco
In Merzouga itself there are a lot of accommodations that are located near the dunes. Here you can enjoy the luxury of a hotel, while you can also see the desert. We stayed at Kasbah Mohayut, a beautiful and budget-friendly hotel with a swimming pool. They also organize trips and overnight stays in the desert.
Other good options in Merzouga itself are:
- Hassilabiad Appart Hotel: Here you will find the comfort of a complete apartment but with the service of a hotel. Perfect for families
- Sunrise Palace Merzouga: fantastic, luxurious hotel (slightly more expensive) where you can dive into the pool with an incredibly beautiful view over the dunes.
However, we definitely recommend that you also spend the night in the desert itself! You can choose between different tent camps, from basic to very luxurious. Go there with a camel ride and enjoy the silence of the desert, the starry sky, and the introduction to the Berber culture.
We stayed at the beautiful luxurious (but affordable) Beldi Camp, an absolute must! The tents are all decorated in a different theme, the main tent is very tasteful and cozy and the food is incredibly tasty. In the evening, enjoy Berber music by the campfire and get up in time to watch the sun rise. During the day you can also book all kinds of tours or go sand boarding from one of the dunes.
Is Beldi Camp fully booked? Then these are some other nice alternatives for a stay in the desert:
- Luxury Tented Camp: the tents are beautifully decorated in a traditional-modern Moroccan style. You’ll have a fantastic stay here!
- Desert Berber Fire-Camp: if you want to sleep in the desert on a small budget, this tented camp is the place for you. Although the tents may be a little less luxurious, everything is in perfect order and the experience is fantastic!
- Sunrise Sahara Camp: this luxurious camp does not offer tents, but domes with fantastic views over the desert. A unique experience!
Best places to stay at the Todra gorge and Dadès gorge
The Todra gorge is part of a day trip for many people, but in our opinion you should take the time to discover this gorge (and the Dadès gorge). You can go on fantastic walks, enjoy the wild landscape and immerse yourself in traditional life.
Read more: How to visit the Todra Gorge in Morocco
That is why we definitely recommend that you stay one or more nights at the Todra gorge or Dadès gorge during a tour of Morocco. We stayed in the nice guest house La Petite Gorge, near the village and about 2 kilometers from the Todra gorge. Simple but clean rooms and friendly owners. Breakfast is served on the balcony where you also have a beautiful view over the oasis and the valley.
- Auberge Le Festival: this is the most unique experience because here you sleep in a cave, near the Todra gorge. Book here on time because it fills up quickly.
- Auberge Restaurant Atlas: this nice place is located 5 km from the Todra gorge and also has a swimming pool (ideal for the warm months).
Best places to stay in Aït-Ben-Haddou
Aït-Ben-Haddou is a beautiful place to visit. But don’t just come here as a day tourist, definitely stay here for a night (or more). When the sun rises, the mud houses of the old town turn pink and orange. A moment you don’t want to miss.
Read more: Plan your visit to Aït-Ben-Haddou
In the old town itself there are only a few accommodations. However, like us, you can spend the night in the newer (but still charming) town, on the other side of the riverbed. We stayed in the beautiful Dar Mouna La Source and can only recommend this place. The staff is very friendly, the rooms attractive, but the terrace is the real attraction. From here you have a breathtaking view over Aït-Ben-Haddou (also at sunset and sunrise).
Other nice accommodations in Aït-Ben-Haddou are:
- Kasbah El Hajja: this residence is one of the few guest houses located in the old town and is fully furnished in the traditional Berber style. A beautiful place to spend the night.
- Auberge Ksar Aït Ben Haddou: this extremely affordable auberge has a nice swimming pool, spacious rooms and a very friendly staff. And of course also the beautiful views of the city.
Best places to stay in Essaouira
The port city of Essaouira has conquered our hearts. If you leave Marrakech, and if you still have some time left at the end of your holiday, be sure to stay a few days in this pleasant city.
Read more: What to do in Essaouira
You can find many accommodations in Essaouria, many of which are located outside the medina, along the sea. But we can again recommend staying in the medina, so you are within walking distance of all the nice places (including the beach).
We stayed at the Musta’s Apartment & Suites. You have a complete apartment to yourself, but the owner and his mother live nearby and help with everything you want. The apartment is beautifully decorated and stylishly furnished. And also the location in the medina is perfect.
Other nice accommodations in Essaouira are:
- Chems Blue: with their sea view rooms and within walking distance of all the sights, this property is sure to charm you.
- Riad Lyon-Mogador: this beautiful riad from the 18th century is located in the medina and is very attractively decorated in traditional Moroccan style. From the beautiful roof terrace you have a fantastic view over the medina and the sea.
Tip: Do you like surfing? Then we advise you to go to the surfing village of Imsouane. There we stayed at Tigmi Blue, a lovely hostel run by a French couple. We surfed at Olo Surf & Nature, where you can also spend the night.
Best places to sleep in the High Atlas
When you are in Morocco, you should definitely plan a trip to the high Atlas. Here you see a completely different Morocco than in the cities on the coast or in the desert. Visit one of the traditional mountain villages or maybe you want to climb the Toubkal, the second highest mountain in Africa.
We went to Imlil, which is less than an hour’s drive from Marrakech. The treks to the Toubkal also start here. We stayed at the very attractive Berber Family Lodge. You want to come here for the views alone! from their terraces you look out over the valley and the high mountains. You will end up in a traditional lodge, so the rooms are simple but nice. And the food is delicious. Recommended!
We hope you enjoyed our article about special hotels and riads in Morocco and we were able to inspire you to plan your trip. Do you have any questions? Let us know about this article.
Have fun in Morocco!